New to blogging…hello to all

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jay and I just completed a diploma in adult education and beginning my M.Ed in adult education. I am from small-town Manitoba but live in Vancouver now. I have a bachelor’s degree in cultural anthropology and environmental studies through the University of Manitoba. Last August I returned to Canada after three years of living and working in southern Japan as an English and cultural studies teacher at elementary and junior high schools as well as in a private language school. Through the local board of education I also planned and facilitated a community adult English conversation and culture class in the village I was living and had a lot of fun with the group.

one of the schools I worked at in Japan

My hobbies include music (listening to, not making), reading, fitness and travel. I also really enjoy cooking when I have the time, which unfortunately hasn’t been much lately and I have a love for animals.
Through my travels I had the opportunity to work as a volunteer educator in a town on the Thai-Myanmar border where I worked with refugee and underprivileged children as well as some local business owners helping them market products to foreigners.

staring contest with a deer...on a beach.

I do not have a lot of experience in venture technologies or entrepreneurship which is part of my reason for taking the course. I would like to learn more about emerging technologies and how these can be incorporated into adult program development and deliverance. Through this course I hope to increase my skillset and tie together adult learning theory from other courses into the opportunities available with education technology. Though I am not in the MET program, I look forward to learning with the diverse group of people in this course as it seems you all of a lot of experience and knowledge.

It took me a great amount of time to figure out this first post; a sign I may be taking a pretty big leap with this course but I’m up for the challange!

I look forward to learning together with all of you!
Cheers!
Jay

Posted in: Week 01: Introductions